Shut Up and Dance!
The Joy of Letting Go of the Lead - On the Dance Floor and Off
At fory-five, Jamie Rose was an independent, take-charge woman whose career as an actor was going nicely, with frequent roles on hit television shows and in films. But there was one area of her life that wasn’t working: her love life. Although she was ready to get married, her boyfriend wasn’t. His reason? They fought too much—and unfortunately, he was right. But something magical happened when she signed up for tango lessons: she began to understand that letting someone else take the lead from time to time wasn’t giving up, but rather, “letting go.” In this wise and funny book, Rose shares with readers the life lessons she’s learned from tango and other great partner dance traditions.
Dance changed Rose’s life, and she discovered that she wasn’t the only one. Over and over, the women she encountered at dance halls—women from age twenty to ninety_three—told her how falling in love with dance helped them fall in love with life again. The secret? Whereas before they may have worried that if they let go of their grip on things for a moment, everything would fall apart, now they knew that sometimes letting go of the lead is the best way to keep things together”—especially in a relationship. For anyone who has ever marveled at Fred and Ginger up on the silver screen (how could they be so in sync?), SHUT UP AND DANCE shows how to dance their way into a happier, sexier life—even if they never step onto a dance floor.
"Rose is gifted with a sharp and humorous pen...[a] charming debut."
- Kirkus Reviews
"A smart, funny meditation on dance, love, and one woman''s path to happiness. Jamie Rose leads, inspires, and entertains --but like any good dancer, she makes it all look easy. I''m reminded of the line from When Harry Met Sally, ''I''ll have what she''s having.'' In fact, I''m off to find my tango shoes right now!"
- Christina Haag, actress and New York Times bestselling author of Come to the Edge
"There's something so wonderful about dancing with a great leader . . . I think of myself as a strong, forward-thinking woman, but every so often it is really nice to feel taken care of."
- Samantha Harris, co-host Dancing with the Stars (seasons 2-9), correspondent and fill-in anchor Entertainment Tonight
"In her delicious new memoir, Shut Up & Dance! Jamie Rose turns feminism on its head by relating how she became stronger and more secure by yielding, first on the dance floor and then in real life. Like the tango, the advice in this book is simple, elegant, brilliant, and very sexy."
- Martha Frankel, author of Hats & Eyeglasses: A Memoir
"A compulsively readable, refreshingly helpful book about how to get out of a relationship rut. Readers can start putting Rose''s suggestions into practice before they even reach the final page."
- Hope Edelman, New York Times bestselling author of The Possibility of Everything, Motherless Daughters
From the Inside Flap
- Are you often frustrated and angry with other people (especially your guy), thinking that it would be so much better if he or she would just do things the right way, i.e., your way?
- Do you ever find that the more you argue over a given point with someone (especially your man), the less you can remember what your point actually was?
- Is it sometimes difficult for you to let down your guard--to feel comfortable being soft, tender and vulnerable?
Then you might be a woman who leads too much -- and this book is for you.